Automated DCP – KODIAK® Multi-Mass Automated DCP Overview
- Used for site investigation
- Portable method for evaluating soil strength
- Immediate electronic data capture and results presentation so that on-site decisions can be made straight away
- Meets EN ISO 22476-2 standard
The Automated Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) measures a material’s in-situ resistance to penetration through the depth profile of the material. The KODIAK® Multi-Mass Automated DCP benefits from 5kg, 8kg and 10kg drop weights. Varying the hammering energy enables both stiff and soft material to be assessed producing more data points, even within the same test.
To facilitate data acquisition, the SolSolution DCP mobile application (iPhone/iPad and Android) is used to GPS locate tests, record data and visualize in real time the penetrograms.
Two versions of the KODIAK® Automated DCP exist:
- KODIAK® – manual data capture using SolSolution DCP app
- e-KODIAK® – the depth of each blow is measured automatically and populates the SolSolution DCP app. The cone resistance Qd (soil resistance under the cone) is calculated in relation to the penetration depth per blow.
Rods extraction is by reverse hammering. There is also a mechanical rod extractor available.
The Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) is an in-situ test to determine the geotechnical properties of soil by driving rods and cone into the ground using a mass falling from a fixed height and therefore having a constant energy.
Site characterisation is unarguably the most important, but also most “difficult”, component of geo-engineering. The KODIAK® Multi-Mass Automated DCP is designed to improve the quality of site characterisation and reduce the difficulties involved.
The typical operating range of the KODIAK® Automated DCP is up to 5 metres depth in soils with a cone resistance of 20-30 MPa.
e-KODIAK® data is downloaded to WebSprint©, the cloud based software for securely storing, processing and interpreting your geotechnical data.
WebSprint© facilitates easy collaboration across your team andgives you access to the soil investigation and correlations modules. The soil investigation capability which enables you to plot:
- a geological profile (database available) associated with the penetrogram, giving a pictorial representation of the geology and stiffness of the ground, Qd.
- Bearing capacity estimation
- California Bearing Ratio (CBR)
Using WebSprint©, you also benefit from the correlations module with extensive correlation research with:
- Soil characterisation parameters including friction angle, undrained shear strength, shear wave velocity and deformation modulus.
- Other geotechnical tests e.g. Standard penetration test (SPT), Cone Penetration Test (CPT), Pressuremeter test (PMT)
The advantages of the KODIAK® Multi-Mass Automated DCP include:
- Provides immediate results so that on-site decisions can be made straight away.
- 5-10 minutes per test typical with results viewable on site
- Accurate and Repeatable
- Non destructive (almost)
- Reduced errors: Equipment is instrumented (e-KODIAK® data is automatically recorded), results are machine produced (overcoming manual data recording, transposition or calculation errors and fictitious results) and improved data flow and integrity
- GPS located and time stamped – know where and when every test is done
- Visually presented results
- Graphical representation of the data (penetrogram) on the mobile phone, potting penetration depth per blow or blows per 10cm
- Improved safety: Safe to operate (overcomes the safety issues of hand / finger crushing associated with the conventional Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP)
- Cost effective: One person operation, rather than 2 for the traditional DCP